read the printed word!

January 10, 2013

Crescendo - Becca Fitzpatrick

Now Playing: 99 Problems - Hugo

Goodreads says: 
Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.


I don't know why I continued on with this series. Maybe it's because I hope that the version of Patch everyone's in love with and the one I'm reading are two separate entities. Alas, that isn't the case. If anything, Crescendo has taught me something I clearly needed cementing in my brain: the "bad boys" can only go so far in terms of date-ability before I wanna cut them.

I read Crescendo around the same time many bad reviews popped up. I thought they were exaggerating. As it turned it out, it was the stone cold truth. Everything in here was like a beginner's guide of How to Stalk the Person You "Love"


It was all very melodramatic and at times I thought I was watching A Very Paranormal Soap Opera unfold. And it wasn't a fun kind of soap. This Scott dude was also put in there just because I think someone told Fitzpatrick that a love triangle would work.  Uh, maybe it would have if the romance between Nora and Patch was a bit stronger and I liked it (which btdubs, I actually dreaded) so nope on Scott being put in for tension.

 And also, what was up with him near the end? Like, the dude's characterization just did a 180 from "slightly creepy dude in your neighborhood" to a guy that elicits the "jesUS CHRIST, WALK WITH THE MACE IN YOUR PALM" kinda mood.

Mainly, the book was too boring, and some cliches were thrown in there like there was no tomorrow. It was too bland that napkin doodling was the main thing I was doing while I read Crescendo.

Do I Recommend This? Nope. Save your money for something better. Getting it from the library would be better. It definitely varies from person to person, as I know many who loved it and many who hated it so, buy at your own risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post?