read the printed word!

July 5, 2011

Hourglass: The Complete Review

On the iPod: Head over Heels - Digital Daggers

So I finally got around to reading Hourglass by Myra McEntire and I am SO glad I read it! Like this is one book that I was glad to have read and will be a carry-on to wherever I go!




Goodreads Review:
One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn’t there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents’ death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She’s tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson’s willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he’s around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Full of atmosphere, mystery, and romance, Hourglass merges the very best of the paranormal and science-fiction genres in a seductive, remarkable young adult debut.



Hourglass in five words: entrancing, witty, stunning, heart-racing, and red-HOT hot.

Words cannot capture what Hourglass is. It's a paranormal, time-slip (time travel) novel. It has southern hospitality, hot boys and time travel. Emerson is a head strong character who has her own agenda and doesn't like being told what to do. That being said, she still loves her brother Thomas and his wife Dru dearly because they've helped her with her condition and don't judge (as much as the entire town of Ivy Springs has). I loved Em's best friend Lily because she was sweet and also didn't judge Em. Wish I had a friend like her when I was in 8th grade. Em has been seeing people to help with the condition but they don't help because a.) they're all shams and b.) only in it because her brother has paid top dollar to help lil sis. This time, Em gets a surprise visit (at the opening of Dru's restaurant) and wow, he's stunner. He's barely older than Em, but he gets her because he also has what Em has. The fun thing about Emerson is that while she thinks she's crazy, she can see rips and Michael, well, he has the exact same thing. I loved the chemistry between those two and they had a very saucy scene the second time he meets her again. Boy oh boy, did that scene make summer hotter!
           So while readers were like "Oh dear god, just kiss already!" they can't because Michael promised Thomas that nothing personal would go on between him and Em *snorts* Ya right, let's see how that goes. I also loved how Michael kept trying to gain Em's trust but was all like "don't prod further and just TRUST me" *second snort* Yeah, okay.  The other thing that absolutely sold me was Kaleb *le sigh*. Kaleb was like delicious meat dangling in front of us and totally liked Em too. That's what I liked, that Em had TWO choices and either one would be awesome and totally get her.
However, I did not like was when the time travel happened, one of them didn't survive. Totally pissed me off because while I saw it coming, it was so bothersome because it sent Em into hysterics for a day but then she fixed it (and I was okay with that). Second thing I did not like, that Lily had a gift too but couldn't use it. WTF Moment happened because why would Myra do such a thing and NOT push it forward. That had me going *WTF* over and over but I was okay with it because I am for certain that she'll push that ability more in the book two of the Hourglass. All in all, Hourglass deserves a 9 out 10 stars.
Note: one last thing I did not like: The references that Hourglass was like Twilight *le gasp*. No, people, just NO. For one, on Myra McEntire's blog, she has a couple posts that she likes Twilight. BUT HOURGLASS IS NO TWILIGHT. For one, Em has a back-bone and sass, whilst Bella was very whiny and spent SEVERAL months grieving (you know what I'm saying NEW MOON) who possibly couldn't hold her own (brown belt Bells?).
2: Kaleb and Michael are both hot and have a shot at Em's heart, while Twilight, both boys were two busy thinking "what Bella wants" to what she needs. Again, NO. One sparkled and one was wolf boy. Why would you pick either?!
AND 3: PEOPLE, there were LOVE TRIANGLES WAY BEFORE TWILIGHT. There was Vampires BEFORE Twilight, there were Helpless heroines BEFORE.. oh wait... no there wasn't. Let's stop comparing EVERY SINGLE THING that has at least one tiny Twilight thing alone. Just let it be. It's my opinion but I feel that Hourglass shouldn't be compared to Twilight because everyone knows that Twilight wouldn't stand a chance against any of the things we compare it to.



Lastly: one song that I found that I think is totes Hourglass:

It's addictive and adorable just like Hourglass. Come on, you know so.

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read this book! I've heard so many awesome things about it and I'm really interesting in the genre combos I've been hearing about. Both Michael and Kaleb sound great! WHO WILL I PICK? Dundunduuun.

    Thanks for the review! :) Newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay 1: thanks for following! and two: Yes it's an amazing book!!! it's really hard to pick *1* so just get both and hope the other doesn't find out!

    ReplyDelete

Any thoughts on today's post?