read the printed word!

April 26, 2011

Sea Change by Aimee Friedman




Goodreads says: Sixteen-year-old Miranda Merchant is great at science. . .and not so great with boys. After major drama with her boyfriend and (now ex) best friend, she's happy to spend the summer on small, mysterious Selkie Island, helping her mother sort out her late grandmother's estate.
There, Miranda finds new friends and an island with a mysterious, mystical history, presenting her with facts her logical, scientific mind can't make sense of. She also meets Leo, who challenges everything she thought she knew about boys, friendship. . .and reality.
Is Leo hiding something? Or is he something that she never could have imagined?

Sea Change is a mermaid story but with unlikely mermaids. Miranda is a levelhead 16 year old who loves science and cares less about boys and clothes (HOLY CRAP!!! SOMEONE STOP THE PRESSES!). She leaves her home of New York to meet up with her mom on Selkie Island, Georgia to a house her grandmother left to her mom. Selkie Island is a odd island with its old century charm and strange history and Miranda find herself drawn to this place she knows nothing about. Then she meets Leo, a local boy who has Miranda on a string (although he doesn’t know it). Sea Change is so, so good! I loved Miranda and Leo who had that great chemistry as well as sweet moments. Now I tend to steer clear of mermaid stories since one nearly made me want to stick my head underwater and just stay there, but Sea Change grabbed me by the collar and said, "Hey, read me. I'm a mermaid story and I guarantee you'll love me."

Yes, books do talk to me :P. No, I don't need a psychiatrist.

I thought Sea Change was a decent mermaid story, but is it just me ... or are more mermaid stories now involving some incredibly hot boy being a mermaid and a plain girl falling in love with it. (Am I right or insane?). Also the cover. Boy looks like RPattz...

Anywas the verdict: 6/10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post?