read the printed word!

June 14, 2012

I've Found my Book Kryptonite (in a good way)

Now Playing: E.T - Katy Perry

Hey guys! I recently have been going on one of my reading binges again (they are so fun and bad at the same time) and recently, I had the pleasure of reading Obsidian.

I mean, I was initially startled to even find myself reading. Why, you ask, is because of the Goodreads summary.


Goodreads says:
Starting over sucks.
When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up. And then he opened his mouth. Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. The hot alien living next door marks me. You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

                        If I don't kill him first, that is.




Aliens? Annoying douche boys that infuriate you even though you JUST met? What??? And not to mention this book had and still has everyone stark raving mad for the book.The Daemon invasion twitter tags and pictures of the actors that were touring Georgia/Florida area and Hungary(?)

 I had to admit, curiosity snapped at me like an annoyingly beautifully wrapped present with my name on it, but I couldn't open because I thought that a snake would be in there to fool me. 
I'm glad that I took the chance and read it. As Juli put it, Think TWILIGHT and EVERMORE combined, except with aliens, and way more awesome!  

It's true. Obsidian lived up to its height and surpassed it. Witty banter, hilarious moments, and for many of us, Katy, the main character, is a book blogger, so there would be sporadic mentions of blogging memes like IMM and others. I adored her and Daemon was actually a dick. But with good reason.See, because his brother got involved with a human, she betrayed his trust and they both ended up as goners. 
I'd say that Obsidian was like one of those ponds that looks shallow, but goes to like ten feet underneath. 

Seriously, what starts off as girl moving to middle-of-nowhere with hot people that are holding some deep dark secret turns into more as a the aliens are shown to be the center of the focus with the romance at a minimum, slowly blossoming into something intoxicating. Okay, not that specifically but its ridiculously awesome and believable transforming from I-hate-your-guts-because-you're-an-ass to I-can-deal-with-your-'tude-because-I've-got-sass-unbelievably-snarky-sass. Trust me guys, if you want a mixture of smexiness, snarkitude, and just overall coolness and believableness of a girl who lost her father and moved with her mother to start anew. 

But, the one thing I found funny/kinda hysterical was that we do see Katy's mom in the story (where others, there are simply no adults/they disappear in a coinkadinc  manner before sh!t hits the fan) and I just wanna see more Mama Katy. 

All in all, Obsidian was a bit of a jeer towards Twilight (oh hahahahahahahaha J. Armentrout for making her aliens as beings of light. I kid you not, when that scene happens, you'll role out of your chair laughing) but definitely a good summer read. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post?