read the printed word!

September 17, 2011

Angels and Twilight-y-ness


On the iPod: You are the One - Shiny Toy Guns

Hello bloggers, now that I've gotten back to my regular schedule of bloggy-bloggingness (it's a word if I said so!) and I think y'all have had enough of the 'good' reviews to get some 'meh' reviews.

Today's post: Hush Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Well Goodreads says: For Nora Grey, romance was not part of the plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how much her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her...until Patch comes along.
With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Nora is drawn to him against her better judgment, but after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is, and to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is far more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.
For Nora is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost her life.

My review: Well, Hush, Hush was currently following the whole 'fallen angels' trend like a bit ago and me, being a stark raving angel fan was like "I Need to Read this!". And so I read it, and was like OHMYGOD but my friends, that wasn't my reviewer side; that was my fangirl side and that was BAD. So a few weeks ago, I decided to re-read it and no offense to the author, It made me want to hurl, quite frankly. I mean, Becca Fitzpatrick has okay characters that need some serious fleshing out, and they need to have some growth. But they had none, and they all fit stereotypes.

Vee - was a bit off the voluptuous side..... I'm sorry what?! Vee was fat but you know she had some damn great scene time unlike Nora. Plus, she was damn entertaining.

Nora - was about the equivalent of a doormat and deader than a door nail. She also lied, chronically and kept running back to the psycho who wanted to kill her. I thought of her as Bella 2.0 but you know, at least Nora didn't become a doormat for months after Patch broke it off. She just went to another psycho. This girl has some bad mojo.

Patch - dear god, there's something very wrong with this boy. You've all heard of those controlling-but- sensitive-in-the-gooey-center boys. Patch skipped that and went to borderline psycho like Michael Myers from Halloween. 'Nuff said.

the other characters were the stereotypes and I, being faithful to any series, desperately read on,because I hoped it would get better. It didn't; it just fugged with my mind that I am still reading the series, out of morbid curiosity, to see how this all ends and Patch and Nora's relationship is mostly lust, and it's eh. I'd like it if the characters at least developed the relationship but it's more of a BOOM, hate, BOOM, lust and repeat, and the Patch/Nora relationship, if fleshed out, would be amazing, but for now, I'll stick with my Aura/Logan/Zachary relationship.

HOWEVER, what I did like about this book: well, the mystery and the climax were the only things I like that it had going because the romance part sorely missed its mark. It makes me want to cry in my coffee.

I recommend checking this book out from the library instead of buying it (but that's just me) and I really think some people might like it. It just wasn't my cup of tea.

Rating: 6/10

P.S Becca Fitzpatrick is a quite awesome person as I talk to her on Twitter. Just FYI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any thoughts on today's post?